February 16, 2008

Valentine Baby


It’s a GIRL! Cookie Dough gave birth on Valentine’s Day. For me it was love at first sight.



Cookies is a first time Mom and is doing great. We new she would be a good Mom because all last year every time one of them had a baby she tried to claim it as hers. So finally now she has her own.



Cookie’s milk was not fully in the first day so I bottle fed the baby every 4 hours. The next day I felt like I had done a million squats and I could not sit down with out wincing from pain. If you want to work out your butt and thighs bottle feed a baby alpaca for a day. LOL



By Friday morning baby was milking regularly and all is well. Today it is snowing outside so I am keeping them in a makeshift pen we created in our well house. Baby will have to wait until the weather clears up before I let the two of them out to make acquaintances and to explore the pasture. I have my fingers crossed the other alpaca past due waits to have her baby until the weather clears.

Knitting

I completed my Scrunchable Scarf and made a hat using the same stitch pattern. I plan to line the hat with the fabric in the photo and possibly make a brim also. This set is very warm and perfect for a snow day like today. You can find the scarf pattern HERE.



I have been itching to use some of the yarns I bought in Portland last Thanksgiving and cast on for this Diagonal Scarf from the book Morehouse Farm Merino Knits by Margrit Lohrer.



I am using the trendsetter Tonalita yarn in color 2357 coffee Latte. I have never knit diagonally and it is turning out real cool.



Of course I can’t just be working on one knit I went ahead and cast on for this His/Hers Reversible cabled scarf. The pattern is in the book Cables Untangled by Melissa Leapman.



I am using Classic Elite Waterlily yarn in color #1995 Azalea. The subtle tonal changes in the yarn really make the cables pop out. Cables are still my all time favorite thing to knit.



Here is Zissou & Klaus out in the snow trying to show the ladies they are tough and don’t need the shelter. Of course the ladies think they are idiots and are in the shelter cozy & warm.



Dust of Snow by Robert Frost
The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree
Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.

Have a great weekend and I hope you and yours are cozy and warm.